The Future of Technology



Technology can be in many forms. It was invented 2 millions of years ago called stone tools (yes, think cavemen). But when was electronic technology invented? 


Disruptor League

"Electronics’ actual history began with the invention of vacuum diode by J.A. Fleming, in 1897; and, after that, a vacuum triode was implemented by Lee De Forest to amplify electrical signals. This led to the introduction of tetrode and pentode tubes that dominated the world until the World War II.

Subsequently, the transistor era began with the junction transistor invention in 1948. Even though, this particular invention got a Nobel Prize, yet it was later replaced with a bulky vacuum tube that would consume high power for its operation. The use of germanium and silicon semiconductor materials made theses transistor gain the popularity and wide-acceptance usage in different electronic circuits."

-Electronics, Project, Focus, elprocus.com 

Technology Predictions that Came True

During the Industrial era (1800-1900s) when Thomas Edison invented the bulb, Ford invented cars, and Wilbur and Orville Wright invented the first airplane, predictions started to arise about future technologies. Let's take a look at the inventions of today and the predictions in the past. 

 Autonomous Cars

Smart Cities World

From the 1960s-1990's many sci fi movies predicted that in the future there would be autonomous (self-driving cars). Companies such as Waymo, Cruise, Tesla, and Baidu are working on this but only in special trial programs. My boyfriend previously worked at one of theme companies and Cruise would test these cars in the empty streets of SF at night.

 Credit/Debit Cards


NY Times

40 years ago, credit cards existed but cash was preferred to be used until 2003. I think that this was an easy prediction because carrying cash almost feels unsafe and inconvenient. Besides physical cards, I personally like to use Apple Pay on my Wallet app because I can also have a contactless payment in stores.

 Online Shopping

Evokad Advertising


Another technological prediction is online shopping. A few years ago, television shopping was common but now Amazon, eBay, and stores with apps make shopping way more convenient. There are order and pick up or delivery.

Technological Predictions Proven Wrong

There is a popular saying, "It's easy to make predictions about the future, but it's hard to get them right". 

Cell Phones




Many inventors have thought that the cell phone would not be able to replace local wire systems. I think that this did not come to pass because of how cool it was to have a personal communicator. Families and friends can contact each other back and forth unlike a pager. Also features such as the "Find My iPhone", apps, maps, camera, and social media had made cell phones more appealing and convenient. I personally do not feel safe without my cellphone especially when I am traveling/driving to places I've never been to.

Internet



The internet was predicted to have collapse and not blow up as it did around a decade ago. I heard from a friend that the internet was invented and invested into by U.S. government researchers to allow the economy to grow.

 Computers

Computer - HowStuffWorks


Computers were thought to be a "want" rather than a "need". Bill Gates has said in 1981 that nobody would need more than 637KB or memory for a personal computer. An average user today uses 1 TB which is 1,569,858.71 times that. Pictures, videos, apps, documents, and music takes up a lot of space.

Future of Technology and Education


Duke Chronicle

When I was in community college I was working a part-time job to pay for my tuition, gas, food, and other expenses. My house was a thirty minute drive away from school and with traffic (which was always) the traffic increased to an hour. I absolutely hated it as I simply did not have enough time to practice cello, work, study, and sometimes even drop and pick up my younger siblings at school (while my parents worked). I absolutely thought that online classes saved me time and money and I couldn't be more thankful for it. This is my prediction for the future besides me wanting to promote it: I predict that in the future classrooms will be 50% online because now that everyone drives cars to go to school and work, traffic would reduce.

Comments

Popular Posts